Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What I am watching this season- Fall 2010

Monday Night RAW- I am pretty sure starting with this one has ruined my street cred before we even begin.  There is a stigma attached to the WWE and anyone who watches it, so I automatically say this one under my breath.  My friends know I watch it and still ask “You know it’s fake, right?”.  Yeah assface, of course I know its fake!  I am also very aware how bad it can be at times.  BUT, if you really start watching, you will get sucked into the story lines and you will then see why so many trailer parks all tune in every Monday night for some RAW!!  Plus, the buildup to Wrestlemania alone usually makes up for a year of bad programming.
How I Met Your Mother-  This is relatively a new entry for me.  I didn’t really start appreciating this gem until late last season and I must say…it friggin rules!  Neil Patrick Harris plays the role of Barney with authority, and his comic  timing on this show made me forget about him being Doogie.  The writing is excellent, the entire cast gels up there with the best of the shows I have ever been a fan of in all of my years. 

Caprica- This one is bittersweet.  At the time of this writing it was announced there would not be a season two, and that they aren't even going to finish up the season in 2010.  The brain trust at SyFy (ugh I hate they renamed that channel), decided it will wait until 2011 to finish a series that is currently running.  They said this was due to budgetary reasons and the ratings weren't what they expected.  Well, no shit dumb-asses!!!  You expect people to wait forever for a series that needs time to grow??  Well, at least they will now have more money to make their SyFy produced movies, such as “Mansquito Part 2”.  So for those who are counting at home….
·         -The Pilot aired in August 2009
·         -After being picked up as a series, the next episode wasn’t seen until January 2010. 
·         -8 episodes in, SyFy decides to split up season one into 2 parts.  This occurs in March 2010
·         -7 months later, they continue season 1 on October 5th.
·         -It is announced that they cancel the show and the will stop playing new episodes on Oct 26th.
·         -With 4 episodes left in “Season 1” SyFy announces it “might” finish the series in 2011.  No date is given
·         So that is THREE calendar years for one single season.
·         -I forecast these episodes will never see the light of day on SyFy, but probably released on DVD/Blu-Ray later on.  Dumbasses….
Nick Swardson’s Pretend Time- I have set this to record on my DVR, and have only caught one episode so far.  His role on “Reno 911” as Super Terry was GOLD!  I chuckled a few times, but not a whole lot when I watched the first episode, so the jury is still out on this one.






South Park- This is a show that has been consistently funny to me since it debuted back in the mid nineties. The writing is always brilliant and topical, and they seem to keep it fresh even after all of these years.   Hard to believe it has been on the air for about 14 years now?!






Survivor: Nicaragua- If you are not a loyal Survivor fan then you will probably not get into it at this point.  Not that you really need to know anything about previous casts, but if you haven't watched by now you probably never will.  I think it is the only reality show on tv that is capable of still being captivating and can throw a curve ball week after week.  I have watched every season since the beginning, and will probably continue to do so for quite awhile.
Community- Ahhhh, this one has definitely grown on me since last year.  It started off ok, but has gotten better and better every episode.  The cast have all evolved into awesomely funny characters, and Joel McHale is now not the only reason I watch.  Hell, even Chevy Chase is funny again!! Abed may be the best new comic presence on a sitcom since….hmmm….Kramer?






30 Rock- Another show that I jumped on the bandwagon a little late.  I started watching two seasons ago, and yet another one that just keeps getting better.  An excellent cast, that all have their own strengths.  Even the smaller roles on the show have a voice. Oh, and check out Tina Fey in that pic?!?!  She is all kinds of "subtle hot".











The Office- Been a fan since day one (of the American version, but want to check out the Brits originator soon).  Steve Carell is great, and Dwight Schrute is now my favorite cast member (love that Recyclops episode).  I am not sure if the magic will still be there when Carell leaves the show later this year, but I am curious what they will do instead. 
The Soup- Joel McHale is the man…..enough said












Saturday Night Live- Even when this show is crap, I still watch it.   Throughout the years there have been many peaks and valleys with SNL, and people always seem to say “This season sucks, last year was WAY better”.  Well, that same person told me the exact same thing last year, so I guess either his memory is shit or the show has definitely gotten worse year after year.  I like it, and usually there are a couple of sketches on each show that make up for it. But lately….ENOUGH KRISTEN WIIG!!!!  Talk about over exposure!!!!
Boardwalk Empire- This one was a very nice surprise when I watched the pilot.  It helped that the first episode was directed by Martin Scorsese and I am a big Steve Buscemi fan.  BUT, I have noticed my interest waning lately.  I can’t really put my finger on why quite yet, but I guess I am a little bored.  I haven't given up yet though…..
*Bonus – Howard Stern On-Demand- I included this because I watch the hell out if it!   I’m a big Stern fan and cant get enough of the On Demand shows.  You get the best of the week, and even old stuff from back in the day.  HIGHLY recommend this pay service on Cable if you love Stern…BABA BOOEY!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can agree on some of those. I used to watch WCW when it was good, but when they merged with WWF, that is when I stopped as they should have kept it separate.

    WWE is a Male Soap Opera and that is all good by me. I ain't into it anymore but to each their own. I don't discriminate. ;)

    ReplyDelete